The PPP provides monetary compensation to the caregivers of developmentally disabled children, whether that caregiver is a family member or another trusted guardian. To determine eligibility, a registered nurse assesses the adaptive living skills of the child and grants an allotted number of paid hours per month.

What Is the Personal Preference Program?

The New Jersey Personal Preference Program (PPP) offers an alternative way for NJ FamilyCare Plan A members who qualify for the Personal Care Assistant (PCA) services benefit to remain in their home and active in their community, and does not require the use of a home health care agency.

PCA services are non-emergency, health related tasks through NJ FamilyCare. Tasks include help with activities of daily living (ADLs) and with household duties essential to the patient’s health and comfort, such as bathing, dressing, meal preparation, and light housekeeping.

Through a monthly budget, you work with a financial consultant to develop a monthly budget, through which you will decide the services you need and the individuals and/or agencies you wish to hire to provide the identified services. If you are cognitively impaired or unable to make decisions on your own, you can choose an authorized representative to assist you.

The PPP also provides fiscal management services to assist you with the financial aspects of the program. PCG Public Partnerships, LLC (PPL) is the fiscal intermediary (FI) for the PPP, and is responsible for handling payroll responsibilities, acting as a bookkeeping service, processing time sheets and issuing paychecks to your workers.

The PPP requires greater individual responsibility, but in return, offers you greater control, flexibility and choice over the services you receive.

New Jersey Department of Human Services

developmentally disabled child being cared for by mother

Receiving the Compensation You Deserve

At the Law Offices of Johanna G. Burke, we will work with you to ensure you receive the time and money necessary to provide ample support for your developmentally disabled child. Additionally, if the DHS does not provide you with the support you deserve, we will handle the appeal process to ensure that you do. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.